90 bpm

In the end, it was always a slow groove that would move me most, body and soul.

I was a rushed person, a rushed child, no time for me, no place for me, no time to feel. A slow song or a slow groove was like a friend who would wait for me; a guardian three steps ahead who would turn around, reach out their arm and wait for me to catch up… A friend who had time for me.  
 
Maybe that is why ballads have been some of my strongest tunes. They slow me down, enough to hear the vibration of the vocal chord ushering out the words; enough to let the music carry me away. Lushlife, Something Cool, Strange Fruit, Maiden Voyage, Goodbye Porkpie Hat. These songs called for me to slow down and listen. Down to You, The Weakness in Me, Vision in My Mind, and Sly Stone’s version of Que Sera, Sera - the slowest song in the world. These songs would take me over completely, undo me, rearrange me; then lay me down and tuck me in with the softest whisper when they were finished.

Comments

AvantGrape said…
This shit is WHACK!

Popular posts from this blog

waiting

what to do after you die